Theory/Praxis- Media Literacy

When I first heard the term media literacy, I automatically knew what it meant. To me it seemed self-explanatory; the understanding of media. Like most people of my generation, I grew up in front of the television not knowing the true meaning and or understanding of the type of media I was being exposed to. Now, I cannot say the same. I do have somewhat of an understanding of what I’m being exposed to and I can comprehend what the community of the media is trying to convey through various mediums. Now I am able to ask pertinent questions about what is in front of me and what is actually not there. In other words, I can question things that I view to be reality and things that I view to be an illusion. Media literacy has become a tool to help me scrutinize various types of means and while doing so I have finally come to realize its true purpose.

A good example of something in the media that I have a better understanding of would be commercials for sponsoring children in third world countries. Although I see them as good causes, there is something uneasy about these organizations producing commercials showing the everyday lives and hardship of these poor children (little children working, talking about how their care takers are on their death beds and the children will have no one to take care of them). While flicking through channels you may come across one of these commercials and stop and watch to be "more informed" and initially that is their goal. But what most viewers do not know is that they are showing these particular clips to get you to pick up the phone and donate. They try and touch you on an emotional level so that you feel like emotions of guilt, and realize that you take the things you have in your life for granted and then finally pick up the phone and call. I refer to those viewers as being media illiterate because they do not understand the transfer of emotions that had just occurred.

Media literacy is a term that incorporates three stages of leading to the understanding and empowerment of media. First, one must become aware of the importance of organizing and managing their media intake. Some examples consist of reducing time spent watching TV, reading the news paper, playing video games, watching movies, etc. The second stage consists of scrutinizing these messages and truly understanding their intent as well as your position or standing in such situations. The very last stage of becoming media literate is much more complex. It is about primarily understanding who produces these messages and the true intent behind them. Also, it is important to consider who gains and who is set back from these messages.[1]

Work Cited
[1]http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/teachers/media_literacy/what_is_media_literacy.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment